Thursday, October 7, 2010

Rolling Stone magazine puts out a hot list every year.  They include trends, people, music, and alot of other things that they thing are what is happening now or what will be happening soon.   Things like fixed gear bycicles and Daft Punk are on this list.  It seems that each year, cool is going more and more vintage.  Vintage is so sought after today, and I am not quite sure why, but even star's music tastes and inspirations seem to be travelling backward in time through the 80s, 70s, 60s, and 50s.  Today's popular culture is not on the same page as today's technology.  Its cool though.

3 comments:

  1. My favorite piece of technology is my ... wait for it... my record player. I guess I fall under that vintage is cool group. Maybe I like it to be different or maybe I just want to say that I still use a record player to be some kind of hipster--but it might be something else completely. I think that technology is driving us apart--I think that it is so personal and lonely at times. I like the push of music out of the record player--the intimacy of the bumps and scratches: the way the vocals pierce the air and stick to the ceiling. I like to sit on my couch in my living room and feel the music left and then settle over me. Even when I am by myself, the music out of my record player makes me feel like I am at a concert; it makes me feel connected and part of an audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the vintage is in theory. Music it's pretty obvious but also in fashion. A lot of the shirts I wear are vintage tees from Old Navy with super heros on them. Who doesn't love walking around with Iron Man on their chest though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree here. I love the past, history, vintage things. Last year I wrote an essay about it (I got a 25/25 on that essay, if anyone was wondering). I just feel a greater connection with the past than I do this strange, ever-changing present.

    ReplyDelete